Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Music In My Life

As far as my memory reminds me, I grew up in an era where Michael Jackson gains his recognition as the King of Pop, boybands was once on top of the world, risen stars like Britney Spears, Jennifer Lopez and Christina Aguilera had dominated the pop chart. The whole world was into pop that time. When I was younger, put aside Christian music and kids song, the very first music I listened to is The Backsteetboys, one of the most influencial American pop group in the 90's. It was my favorite then, still the favorite boyband up till today. After their first and second album Backstreet Boys and Backstreet's Back, with hits like Everybody, Quit Playing Games, As Long As You Love Me, their popularity increased tremendously and constantly being the limelight of the media. Several boybands rise up rapidly as well around that time, N'Sync, 98 Degrees, A1 and what not, sure you heard of them. That was music to me during primary and junior high schooling.

During my 2nd grade in high school, I was introduced to rock music by school mates. There was a twist in the music industry where boybands are refered to as "gay" and they only do "lovey dovey" music in a group of 4 or 5 people. Thus, rock music began to gain favor of the younger generation. I still remember it was then bands like 3 Doors Down, Paparoach, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Vertical Horizon, Michael Learns To Rock, Limp Bizkit and many others music career shot up sky high with the amazingly large fan base of rock music lovers. However, I didn't enjoy listening to it even abit, to me it was all noise with all the drums, guitars (some of the guitarist even wank it), vocalist screaming, "Where were those time where music is suppose to grant peace and harmonize with my soul?", I asked.

Ryan Cabrera


One fine morning when I traveled to school, my friends were telling me in class "Shut up when I'm talking to you, shut up". I smiled? not knowing what was going on till..... someone told me it was a part of the lyrics of One Step Closer song. Soon it became the music industry's attention, the birth of Linkin Park, one of the most appealing 6 piece rock band in the world with a DJ in it. Remember the hype? I was carried away by their music as well, be it peer pressure or friends influence, that was how I start listening to rock music. And little did I know that a lots of rockstars in the west actually got into drugs, drinking, sex, causing a lot of troubles to the authorities. Well not all of them, with some even from broken families, foster parents, drop outs, orphans, to some extend once a "rubbish" to the society with the life they led. It was the starting point for me to begin finding out about the personal life of an artist each time I really like their songs. I did listen to some chinese music as well.

Towards my end of senior high, my Sunday School teacher, Lilian Ang approached me and the youths in chruch often meet up to spend sometime together on a weekly basis. Suddenly, one day, I was forced into being the back up singer for a worship session and man, I don't sing in front of public... it was a big no no No! The only time I ever sung is in my bathroom or when no one at all was psychically near me. Having said that, they still force me into it, being a person who doesn't know how to reject, I tried but very shyly, almost muttering or talking when I'm singing. To my surprise, once they all stopped singing and the worship leader said, "Everyone stop singing, I just want to hear Simon's voice". She gave me the clearest mic with the loudest volume and I was like reading the lyrics with my head facing to the ground. Even when my high school mates conned me to Red Box Karaoke I'll never sing but spent my time laughing at their voice. It was hillarious and why I said conned? It's because of the Hong Kong TVB dramas, I thought they serve alcohols for lunch and girls for dinner in the karaoke center. Soon as time passes, I slowly get used to singing and became a worship leader for my church. I remembered the first time I worship led, I wrote down everything in a piece of paper which includes my prayers. I was nervous until I got up there, I felt peace in my heart, God was there for me, while leading many was smilling to me, even Pastor Joshua and my friends. I couldn't hold myself but to smile back with joy. I never thought God with Christian music can be so great. It was a fantastic experience that I'll never forget.

Jason Wade


After SPM, I did my foundation in APIIT KL, later on in HELP Damansara and currently in Metropolitan College, Subang Jaya. During this period, I gained countless friends, some remained, some went missing after sometime. I was exposed to various types of music like Jazz, Metal Rock, Ochestra, Contemparary Christian Songs, R&B, Rap, Hip Hop, Oldies, Love Songs and I still listen to them. I learnt how to appreciate all sorts of music in order to catch up with different people that walked into my life. Don't get the wrong idea, I still serve the church as a worship leader and love worshipping God in church all these while.

Alex Band


However after all these time, I came to a point where I begin to search myself what music I actually love deep within me. I read about many artist, watching their videos, two vocalist actually caught my attention, Jason Wade from Lifehouse band and Alex Band from The Calling. It's their voice, the type of music and passion that I can connect to. I pretty much like Ryan Cabrera also, but nothing really special about him. I used to spent a huge amount my time watching their live videos in studio, concerts, performance, personal life, childhood, anything and everything about them. Jason has this unique warm voice that reaches to many hearts and Alex? When I hear him sing, he sounds determined and strong. He was like a young cub raised up to be a lion reaching out to the world with music. This song you're listening in my blog now is Alex Band - Tonight, second song is Lifehouse - Everything, my current favorites. They are my source of inspiration in music. This is the music I love right now. Let the music search our souls.


No comments: